Saturday, September 12, 2009

TWIT's Winter Predictions

Sometime within the next few weeks here in Louisville, our Curious Journal newspaper will publish an annual artical with predictions for the coming winter. These are based on quasi-scientific methods by Dick Frymire down in Irvington, who predicts the weather based on information he gathers from his Japanese maple tree and his rooster. There will also be predictions from people that study wooly worms, persimmon seeds, and other things. Based on things I've personally seen and experienced in the past few weeks, I will give TWIT's winter prediction: it's going to be a long, cold winter. I studied the coats of various animals that live near the compound and after talking with their owners, I found out that they all started getting their winter coats very early this year. Why, that in itself is enough to tell it's going to be a bad winter. It's also been extremely foggy the past couple of months. Local weather watchers say that if you count the number of foggy mornings in a certain time period, that will tell you how many snows we will have. Unfortunately I don't know the time period, but I do know that the mornings this summer and early fall have been unusually foggy. And just today I saw another oddity that I believe to be a sign of a bad winter. While riding my bike this morning I saw acorns almost as big as ping pong balls. I even brought a couple home to show the 'Rents just so they wouldn't think I was exaggerating. As soon as Mr. Frymire's predictions are in the newspaper, I'll post them here. In any case, winter is coming. Bring it on.

No comments: