Saturday, September 26, 2009

I Should Have Listened

Some interesting, er, ironic, things happened to me today. On one, I should have seen it coming; on another, it came at me totally from left field. They are both connected, however. First of all, I was betrayed by a so-called friend - a coworker that I'd been pretty good friend with for the twelve or so years she's been at my company. I should have seen this one coming, but I was giving her benefit of a doubt; Mom and Diva Stacy both warned me a few weeks ago that it would happen. But I stupidly let my guard down and ended up with a knife in my back. And let me tell you it didn't feel real good. But lesson learned; it will not happen again. The second interesting/ironic thing that happened to me today was that a coworker/friend that had hurt me a month ago stepped up and showed concern and compassion and was the one that told me about the betrayal. She'd found out about it this week while I was off from work, and called me today to warn me about it. During our conversation, she told me how sorry she was for hurting me, and I truly believe she was sincere. I told her I forgave her, and honestly, compared to the big betrayal it was pretty insignificant, but I reminded her that it did hurt me nonetheless. But I digress. She said that I have been nothing but kind and sweet to everybody, and did not deserve it. Well, I couldn't agree with you more on that one. Needless to say, there's been quite a bit to digest today. I've mapped out strategies for dealing with the betrayal, without resorting to retaliation, and I'm going to go to work Monday [hopefully if I'm well enough] with my head held high and will handle it. I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

Toots said...

The person who hurt you first can't be trusted and will do it again if you allow it. I hope you don't.

Puddin said...

It won't happen again. I've learned that even though you may develop good friendships at your place of employment, in the end, the only person you can truly trust is the person you see when you look in the mirror.