Friday, September 4, 2009

Flashback Friday


When I was a kid, one of my favorite soft drinks, next to Coke, was Mountain Dew. I liked it because of the picture of the hillbilly holding a shotgun on the front of the bottle. My Grandpa's sister, Aunt Maimie, who lived a few minutes away in Valley Station, would always have plenty of bottles of Mountain Dew, Orange Crush (Grandma's favorite) and Coke in the small bottles (Grandpa's favorite) when we would go to visit. Mom and Dad weren't big soft drink fans, so they would usually just drink coffee with Aunt Maimie's husband, Uncle Lon, while the rest of us drank our pop.
Today, I will drink maybe one diet Mountain Dew a week, and I make sure I buy the caffeine-free ones. Looking back, I don't think the original Mountain Dews had as much caffeine as the ones today. I don't ever remember being all buzzed up on Mountain Dew like people are today. In fact, I'm pretty sure Grandma wouldn't have let me had even a shot glass full of it if it had buzzed me up. I remember loving the taste of it. And I liked the hillbilly bottle.

No comments: