Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Year Of Trying New Things

I'm proud to report that I have tried one more new thing.  Just days ago I reported that I tried asparagus and actually kinda liked it; now I am happy to report that I just tried Benedictine, and kinda liked it, too.  In case you're keeping track, that was two new things in one week; that's definitely a record.  Benedictine is a cucumber-based spread made with cream cheese and a few other ingredients. The Benedictine that I tried was white - not lime sherbet-colored green like most.  I think the green color is what scared me off. That, and the fact that I don't like cucumbers. But the Benedictine was pretty darned tastey. 

I come from a line of benedictine lovers - my Grandpa loved it.  We would have it at Christmas, and it always looked to pretty spread between two slices of the little square rye breads.  On a related note, while other people were setting out milk and cookies for Santa Clause on Christmas Eve, my family set out a Benedictine sandwich.  I guess Santa liked it, too, because on Christmas morning when I would check the plate, all that was left was just a few bread crumbs. 

In case you're like most people, chances are you've probably never heard of Benedictine spread.  I'm very proud to report that Benedictine spread originated here in the 'Ville.  The recipe was the brainchild of Jennie Benedict.  Jennie was born in the east end of Louisville in an area called Harrods Creek in 1860.  By the age of six, she was already catering parties. She opened her first restaurant in the 'Ville at Third and Ormsby in 1893.  Her business grew and her first official catering business opened in 1900, and a few years later she opened Benedict's Restaurant on South Fourth Street. It was at Benedict's where Benedictine spread was first served.  In case you'd like to try it, here's Jennie Benedict's original recipe:

Benedictine Spread
6 ounces cream cheese
Grated pulp of 1 medium cucumber, peeled
1 small grated onion
A dash of salt (more to taste)
Mayonnaise
Dash of Tabasco
2 or 3 drops green food coloring

Mash the cheese with a fork and work in the cucumber, which has been squeezed fairly dry in a napkin.  Add onion, Tabasco, salt and enough mayonnaise to make a smooth spread. (Note: Miss Jennie used homemade mayonnaise of lemon juice, olive oil, and egg yolks.) Add enough food coloring to give a faint green tinge. 

No comments: