Friday, September 5, 2008

Flashback Friday

Everyone in the 'Ville woke up this morning and discovered something very, very odd going on: it was raining.  It started at about 2:00 this morning and has drizzled almost all day long.  In fact, it was still drizzling about an hour ago.  It hadn't rained in weeks.  Our yard at The Compound is brown, and crunched when you walked on it.  But I digress.  I didn't grab my raincoat this morning, because it's still kinda warm, but I did take my trusty Totes umbrella with me to work.  As I was driving to work, running an errand at lunch and coming home from work (all while in the rain) something odd occurred to me - I hardly saw anyone carrying an umbrella. 

As a kid, I remember everybody carrying an umbrella when it rained - kids and adults alike.  Men weren't embarassed to carry an umbrella; heck, they wanted to stay dry just like the women did.  Back in the day, I remember my Grandpa and Dad both having very cool wooden handle umbrellas that they carried.  And they were probably the most manly men I've ever known.  And while being real men, they were also smart men, and had sense enough to carry an umbrella in the rain.  For some reason today, people just don't carry umbrellas like they used to.  The reason can't be the price - you can find them at the dollar stores for a buck.  I honestly don't know why people don't carry umbrellas anymore.

What about you, faithful readers? Do you carry an umbrella when it rains?  I'd love to read your comments about this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always carry an umbrella in my car, just in case it starts to rain. But I seem to be in the minority. You are right in your observation, few people carry umbrellas, nowadays. They prefer getting pelted by raindrops!

Anonymous said...

I usually have one or two in my car and one or two in my office at work.  I didn't use any of them in the case of Friday's rain though, it was too "misty" and I'm not sure an umbrella would have kept you any dryer.  

A lot of times if it's a very light rain I prefer to just put up the hood on my rain jacket.  My arms are almost always full and the umbrella is one less thing to carry.  I guess these days we just tote around too much other stuff!