Monday, September 8, 2008

This Place Has Gone To The Dogs

It was a great night for my bike ride - it wasn't in the 90's with 90 percent humidity for a change; it was down right pleasant.  And even though I was a bit tired, I made it through my ten miles in record time tonight.  But the trip was not without drama.  I was about two miles from home when I saw a woman ahead of me walking her small poodle on the bike path.  I came up behind her and yelled out "passing on your left" as I started to pass them on their left.  The woman turned to me and said hi, and then her little dog started barking and growling at me.  The dog lunged, the woman was startled and dropped the dog leash, and the dog started running toward me.  Yep, a small poodle was chasing me while I was riding my bike.

The woman started yelling for "Angel" the poodle to stop but Angel was having no part of it; she was too busy chasing me.  I started to slow down and turn around and go back to see if I could help the lady catch Angel, but I decided that might not have been the best thing to do; I didn't want to accidentally run over the dog, nor did I want Angel to bite me on the ankle.  So I just kept on pedaling and continued on my home.

In my six months of bike riding, I have to say this was the first time that a dog has come after me.  On the average I see at least one person walking their dog on the bike path every evening, but those dog walkers kept a tighter hold in the leash then the lady tonight.  This was also the first time that a dog had growled at me, too.  Rarely will a dog bark at me when I'm pedaling past them; I guess they don't care.  Maybe Angel had a bad day and needed to vent. 

No comments: