Saturday, September 20, 2008

State Of Emergency, Day 7

After a day full of running errands and riding almost 13 miles on my bike, I'm pretty tired as I type this. Add to that A Relative living with you and getting your normaly routine discombobulated, and you've got one tired Puddin right now.  

As of this afternoon, there are still about 100,000 homes without power in the 'Ville.  I can't begin to imagine how they must feel.  Even dealing with the short time we were without power made me a nervous wreck - I can't imagine how people must feel who have been without power for almost a week.  We saw a friend this afternoon who is still without power, and he said it's costing him about $25 a day in gas to keep his generator running at his place. We offerred to let him use our generator but he said he couldn't afford to keep two running every day. 

But do not despair - even though 100,000 homes are still without power in the city, the Ryder Cup is still going on without nary a hitch in their plans.  I know you all were as worried about that as I was.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The ones I know who still don't have power say it wouldn't be nearly as bad if they just had hot water for a bath or shower.  Many have electric water heaters, so no hot water!

And I'm astounded by the number of people sickened or even dead from running gasoline powered generators too close to a window or even inside the house!  Making a bad situation even worse!