Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Women, Stay Out Of The Junior Department

I've noticed a disturbing trend over the past months:  older women (late 30's and up) wearing teenage clothes.  Perhaps you've noticed it, too.  It's been more noticable this spring and summer, with older women wearing the popular baby doll tops, which leave the midriff exposed.  The majority of the women wearing these tops have no business wearing them.  I asked a dear, dear friend her opinion on this and she concurred.  She's like most of us - we don't want to see a midriff unless it looks like it belongs on Shania Twain or Demi Moore's body.   Unfortunately, the majority of the older women wearing these midriff-bearing tops don't, although they probably think they do. I guess when they look in the mirror, they think they look like Demi Moore or Shania Twain.  If you are an older woman, and happen to have a firm, flat stomach, well , you go girl.  But please keep it covered and don't wear a top that your 12 year-old granddaughter would wear. 

Before people get their panties in a wad, let me explain - I'm not saying women need to wear house dresses that our 85 year old grannies wore; I'm 43 years old, and I wear trendy clothes but I don't go shopping for clothes that teenagers wear; teenage clothes are for teenagers.  I might be deemed a hardass, but let me go on record and say that I don't think they should be allowed to shop for themselves in the Junior Departments of clothing stores.  I think the Junior Department clerks should ask to see an ID when the older women attempt to buy teenage clothes.  While they're at it, let's just nip this in the bud and have them not sell any teenage clothes to any women over 30.  Maybe the stores could install a security monitoring system, similar to those already in the stores - you know the kind - the alarm goes off when someone walks out of the store with that big plastic tag still on the clothes.  On the new alarm, it could be set to go off whenever an older woman takes clothes from the junior department into a dressing room to try on.

You might think I'm harsh, because I would be banning any woman from going to the junior department - they might be going there to buy clothes for their daughter.  This is pretty much non-issue, because we all know that teenage daughters shop with their teenage friends; they would rather have their eyes gouged out then to have their mother out shopping for them. I'm sure I'll get some flack on this, but as I've said before, this is my blog and I can say what I want.  The older women that wear the teenage clothes don't have to look at themselves like we do.  Give us a break and leave the teenage clothes to the teenagers.

No comments: