Saturday, August 19, 2006

New Product Review

Anyone that knows me knows that I don't cook.  I can, and when I do it's not that bad, but I just don't cook.  I'll be first to admit I'm spoiled, because I never really had to cook.  But every now and then, I'll get a wild hair and will cook something.   With the tomatoes being plentiful this week, I decided to make some salsa.  Actually, Mom decided to make salsa and she said I was going to learn.  Anybody can chop tomatoes and add a few ingredients and make salsa, but we did it the easy way - we used Mrs. Wages salsa mix.  Just add tomatoes and and a pack of the mix and you're good to go.

Mrs. Wages isn't really a new product, but not many people have heard of it so I thought I'd introduce you, my faithful readers, to the wonderful world of Mrs. Wages.  First of all, the mixes aren't real easy to find in the grocery stores.  You'll usually find them in the aisle where the canning jars and lids are.  In addition to salsa mix, they also have a couple of different pickle mixes and spaghetti and tomato sauce mixes as well.   I've only used the salsa mix so I can't speak for the others, but I do know that Mrs. Wages salsa mix rocks.  It's easy to make salsa using this mix - it has to be for me to be able to do it and not ruin the batch.  You just take 6 pounds of tomatoes and put them in boiling water for 3 minutes, and then put the tomatoes in a bowl of ice water to shock them - this will make peeling them a breeze.  Then all you do is chop up the tomatoes, measure out ten cups worth and add a half a cup of vinegar and the package of Mrs. Wages mix.  You let it come to a boil and then let it simmer for only ten minutes and then you're ready to either freeze it or can it in jars.  We opted for the old school canning. 

I've made salsa using recommended recipes, but none of the batches turned out as good as the salsa using Mrs. Wages.  There's no guessing at all, making sure you got the right amount of ground cumin or coriander-- all of the spices and seasonings are in the mix for you.  Get some tomatoes from the garden and go pick up a pack of Mrs. Wages salsa mix and make a batch of homemade salsa.  You'll thank me later on this winter when you're able to open a jar of salsa instead of having to get a jar from the store. 

Mrs. Wages salsa mix most definitely gets the TWIT Seal of Approval.

No comments: