Monday, August 7, 2006

VFW Picnic Report

You'll be glad to know that the 'rents and I survived our first VFW picnic.  It was a long, hot day, but we made it through.  We had a great canopy set up, so we weren't picking up the corn bags, were in shade most of the day.  In case you forgot, we were in charge of the corn toss booth.  For the low, low price of only fifty cents, the players got four chances to get one bag in. Even if they didn't get one in and win a big prize, everybody that played got either an always-popular candy necklace or a temporary tattoo.  I overheard a few comments from people, saying that our booth had very cool prizes.  I have to agree.  There's not much cooler than an inflatible electric guitar.

We had karaoke all afternoon and into the early evening.  By the time karaoke started, I was already tired - from the vegetable peeling the night before and running around that day getting the booth ready, so I wasn't really in a mood to perform.  But it didn't take too much coaxing from my fellow Ladies Auxiliary and VFW members to get me up behind the microphone for a rousing version of Reba's "Fancy."  I've sang for more people at church and when I had my band, but I will say that this was the biggest crowd I've sang for doing karaoke. 

Not just because it was our picnic, but we had some of the best picnic food I've tasted.  The brats were juicy and cooked to perfection; they were so good that we had one for lunch and another one later at night after we had taken the booth down and turned in our money.  We also had a great fried chicken dinner.  I couldn't eat the summer salad, though, no matter how good people said it was.  It was giving me flashbacks to the night before. 

The approximate net profit for our picnic was $6200.  It's amazing what a small group of people can accomplish when we all work together.  I'd like to thank those of you who helped make our picnic a success - thanks for buying the raffle tickets; thanks for making signs for our booths; and thanks for taking time our of your Saturday to come and visit the picnic. 

PS: I found my Harley Davidson shirt about five minutes after I posted the journal entry Saturday morning.  Thanks to whoever was sending me the good karma.  It worked.

No comments: