Saturday, August 26, 2006

Fair Days

If you live here in the 'Ville, then you knew that the state fair was going on this past week.  In the past two summers that TWIT has been around, I've posted the top ten interesting things seen during my trips to the fair.  I'm sorry to say you won't be getting a top ten list this time. I made it to the fair twice this week to attend free concerts, and it wore me out so much I wasn't able to go back and just walk around and look at everything.  I guess I just can't hang like I used to.

I went Tuesday night to see Dwight Yoakum (one of the best concerts I've ever attended, by the way) and Wednesday night to see Gary Puckett and B.J. Thomas.  Each night, I met some friends right after work and we headed over to the fairgrounds and got in line so we could get good seats when they opened the gates.  Each night, we got there at about 5:15, and stood there in the hot afternoon sun until they opened the gates at about 6:30.  Then we all ran in like we were in the Olympics, running up the ramps and down the steps to try and claim seats in the first few rows.  We lucked out - Tuesday night we were on the 3rd row center stage, and Wednesday night we were on the 2nd row center stage.  Not too bad for free.  We brought sandwiches and soft drinks in with us, so we wouldn't have to peel for the $$$ priced food, and then we sat there each night until the shows started at 8:00.  Then we sat some more, until the concerts ended at about 11:00 or so.  I'm not ashamed to say it wore all of us out.  For six hours, we either stood, ran or sat.  One of my even friends had to take the day off on Thursday so he could get rested.  We all decided that next year we would take a few vacation days during that week, so we could get rested up enough to go back again.  We'll see.

No comments: