Saturday, November 27, 2004

Where's A Camera When You Need One?

This summer when Radio Shack had a big sale, I bought a new Fuji digital camera.  I've used it twice, I think.  I still use my ancient Polaroid digital for all of my photo needs, and said that I would keep the Fuji in the car in case I saw something or someone that needed to be photographed for the journal. And who knows when I might see a celebrity here in the 'Ville?  Well, needless to say the Fuji camera is in the case setting on my dresser.  I would have given anything to have had it with me last night. I saw not one, but two, journal-worthy things that were major Kodak moments.

I was on my way home from having dinner with some friends, and was running low on gas so I stopped at the Dairy Mart to fill up.  My BMW has a 26 gallon tank, so filling up takes a few minutes.  I took the opportunity to throw away old receipts and empty Kroger bags and a few leaves from the car while I was waiting.  I walked over to the garbage can by the gas pump and as I was tossing in my bag, something in the garbage can caught my eye.  I looked down in there, and saw a plate in there.  No, it wasn't a paper or styrofoam plate - it was a nice big dinner plate.  Pfaltzgraff to be exact. The plate was upside down, and had foil wrapped over the top of it.  I guess someone was just NITM (not in the mood) for any more leftovers so they just tossed it in the garbage when they were getting gas.  I looked in the garbage can again, but didn't see any more of the place setting. 

By this point, the tank was only about half-full, so I just leaned against the car while I was waiting.  I was looking at the doors to the store, watching the people coming and going, and then I saw him - he was coming back out of the store, walking over to his white S-10 pick-up truck, carrying a small bag.  It was an Elvis impersonator.  He had on the white jumpsuit (complete with the big belt, and with the big rhinestone eagle on the back.) His hair and sideburns were jet black, just like The King.  And he looked like him, too.  I'm going out on a limb and assuming this guy was an Elvis impersonator, and not just someone who felt like dressing up like Elvis; besides, Halloween was a month ago.  If I'd had my camera with me, I would have had to have asked another person at the gas pumps to take my picture with the Elvis impersonator to add to my collection. 

All of this happened at about 11:00 at night - not at 2 or 3 in the morning when most  bizarre things occur.  And the strongest thing I had to drink last night was Nestea decaffeinated iced tea, so I know I wasn't seeing things.  There truly was a Pfaltzgraff plate in the garbage can and an Elvis impersonator in the parking lot of the Dairy Mart.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The plate in the can could have a million interesting stories attached to it.

1.  Chick hates her mother-in-law for sending a plate of food home so her baby boy can have a decent meal on Friday so she tosses it during a heated argument on the way home.

2.  Guy is embarrassed to take Mom's leftovers back to the apartment where all his friends will see.

3.  Food at T-Giving sucked but hostess insisted on sending a plate home with everyone.

I could go on and on.  Very interesting.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm....the Dairy Mart where this happened is about a minute from your house, Stacy.  You didn't send any leftovers home with your guests, did you?????

Anonymous said...

Damn Grammy!!

Anonymous said...

I knew it!!! She's getting even with over the dreaded "Monster" game accident.