Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Shania at the CMAs

I love watching music awards shows - mainly just to see what wacky things the artists wear.  The theme last night at the annual Country Music Association awards appeared to be "Dress Like You're Cleaning Out The Garage."  I haven't seen that much flannel since. . . Opps - sorry. I was about to insert a bad joke.  Suffice to say, the majority of the country stars performing and presenting awards last night looked like they had been working out in the fields all day.  I'm sure they paid hair stylists big bucks to make them look like they hadn't washed (nor combed) their hair in two weeks.

One stand-out star who did not look like she'd just come in from plowing the fields was Shania Twain. They must have known she was going to be exceptionally cute. because she was on the show 3 times. In my fashion opinion, she was one of the most well-dressed women on there. She appeared at the beginning of the show to present an award, and was gorgeous in a long gold skirt.  When she performed; she had on clean jeans, that were not faded, torn, nor ripped.  And when she appeared later in the show to introduce another performer, she was simply stunning in a pale yellow evening gown. 

As you can probably tell, I'm a huge Shania Twain fan.  I was fortunate enough to have front row seats for her concert here in Louisville back in the summer.  I'm not ashamed to confess that I bought them from a ticket broker, but to me it was well worth the price to be on the front row just a few feet away from all of the action on stage. I had read some of the message boards on her fan club website, and read that she interacted with the crowd during her concert: going out into the audience to shake hands, walking around the round stage every few songs to shake hands, etc.  So I had was prepared - the night before the concert, I dug out an old white pick guard that came from my Fender Strat and stuck it and a couple of Sharpie pens in my bag to take to the show.  I went with the intention and determination to get Shania Twain to sign my pick guard. During her first trip walking around the stage shaking hands and scribbling autographs, I was in back of the crowd and wasn't able to get close.  But the next time she started her way around stage, I pushed and shoved like everyone else and was right up next to the stage.  She got close and I held up the pick guard and a Sharpie and she walked right over in front of me and bent down and took them from my hand and scribbled her name on it and handed them back, and even shook my hand, too.  To say I was thrilled would be an understatement.  I wormed my way back to my seat and the people around were giving me high fives and patting me on the back, saying how cool that was.  The next day, I put the pick guard, along with my front row ticket stub, in a frame, where they proudly hang in the music room at home. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey that's awesome.  I drove 8 hours to see her and all i got was a speeding ticket and a lovely night spent in my car because my friend and I ran out of gas! Ha.  Needless to say, we had a blast anyway.  Shania put on one hell of a concert.  I was in the nosebleeds but hell it only cost me 23 bucks (which was all i could afford lol)  

Peace out Trumpster!!

Einstein

Anonymous said...

Wow............do you know what I would have done for an autograph of my favorite singer (Roy Orbison)??? just about anything in the whole world........to have seen him perform live........ and you had such great seats when I went to Cher's farewell tour, I had nose bleed seats, but it was a great show......and she's looked wonderful!..........Wow, wow.
PSS.........I would still do just about anything for an autograph of Roy's

Anonymous said...

Go to EBay, BLGMama - that's where I get alot of autographed albums and pictures.  If I get a big bonus this January, I'll order you an autograph of Roy's on EBay to thank you for all of your help during the past year.