Thursday, November 4, 2004

So What If She's Only Won One Emmy Award

I'm bummed.  No, it's not because of my annual fall funk that hits me every October or November when the fall rains set in.  I'm bummed because next weekend is the ABC Soap Weekend at DisneyWorld and I can't go. 

I'm a huge All My Children fan - I tape it every day and watch it when I get home from work.  I think Erica Kane is the greatest soap opera character in the history of daytime soaps, superbly played by Susan Lucci.  My ABC Soaps magazine said that Susan Lucci is one of the many AMC stars that will be appearing at Sopa Opera Weekend.  I would give anything to have my picture taken with her.  But funds are a bit low right now, and I can't take off from work, so maybe next year. 

Above my desk proudly hangs a framed authentic autographed picture of Susan Lucci that a friend got me from EBay.  My co-worker Rita and I tell everyone that Erica is our businesswoman roll model and that she's up there on the wall watching over us.  If I can ever meet Susan Lucci, I'll be sure to get an autograph for Rita, too.  I've got her hooked on the soap now, too.  I got hooked on AMC a year and a half ago - my cousin's son is an actor, and he auditioned for a small prt on AMC.  So I thought I'd better start watching the show in case Nicholas got the part, so I would know what the storylines were.  Unfortunately, he didn't get the part, but I still watch the show faithfully.

I had my hopes up for getting to actually meet Susan Lucci this past May; she attends a local horse farm owner's annual Derby party every year.  I had an accomplice all lined out, and we were going to wait along the driveway entrance like other celeb hounds and try to get a picture with her.  My hopes were shattered when I was flipping through the channels on Derby eve and saw Susan Lucci on the Home Shopping Network hawking her new clothing line - she announced that she would be there live on HSN the next 2 days selling her stuff.  So when I found out that she would be a no-show at Mary Lou Whitney's party, we aborted our mission.  Maybe next year. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is going to sound like a joke, but I'm totally serious.  My good friend Nancy (from work and Bunco) has a brother in law who has been a camera man on AMC for many, many years.  Nancy has a really cool autographed Erika Kane poster in her basement that SL signed when Nancy met her on the set a few years ago.  They tape the show in NYC.  If you're ever there, I'll do my best to pull some strings.  Don't know if it would do any good, but couldn't hurt...

Anonymous said...

OMG I think I'm going to plan a trip right now.  I'll get on the phone to AAA first thing Monday morning, LOL.   That would rock.  You can best believe we'll let Nancy know if/when I can get to NYC.