Monday, November 8, 2004

The Bizarre Bazaar

I've heard it said that you never forget your first love.  I can testify that's true; I'm reminded of my first rue love every fall.  No, it's not the time of year that we broke up.  And it has nothing to do with my usually-annual fall funk; I'm reminded every November when I see my former future mother-in-law.

I see the mother of James Goodin, my former future husband, every November at one of the local holiday craft bazaars.  Pat has a booth hawking wooden crafts that her husband and she make.  My mom and I started going to this particular bazaar about 15 years ago, where we would see Pat every time.  Prior to that, I would see her periodically at the grocery store or somewhere else in the neighborhood.  But we never spoke - I just thought there's no way she would remember me.  You see, her son and I were quite the love-struck couple in the third through fifth grades at Greenwood Elementary school.

Mom and I were at this same church's bazaar 5 years ago when I saw Pat.  I finally got the nerve and spoke up.  I sheepishly started, "You probably don't remember me but..." and much to my surprise, she interrupted and said "You're Carla - I'd know those eyes anywhere. You have the bluest eyes I've ever seen."  Needless to say, I was speechless - it had been over 25 years since we'd spoken and she remembered me.  I might forget where I laid down a book or something, but I never forget a face - I guess she's like that, too.  We chatted a few minutes, and I asked about James.  I guess I should have stayed with him - he owns his own lucrative business and has a huge house in Old Louisville. 

As fate would have it, I ran into James just a few weeks after talking to his mother.  We went to a mutual friend's bar and had a drink and talked about our days back at Greenwood Elementary and how much fun we had going to the shopping center and to the skating rink and riding bikes through his neighborhood.  I haven't spoken to him since that night, but I'm going to get his business card out of my Rolodex today and give him a call.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I believe a "follow up" is in order...