Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Disgusting News From ZCO

I'm really hacked off today.  I had a decent night's sleep, and as in a good mood until I got to work.  I hadn't even put my purse down at my desk when I heard the disgusting news that one of my co-workers had his car stolen from our parking lot yesterday.

It's a crying shame when someone's car gets stolen, but this wasn't just any car - this my friend's beloved '72 Chevelle, a classic that he had worked on for years.  It's an awesome car - great paint job, not a scratch on the finish.  It's even worse when the car couldn't be fully insured for what it was worth - my friend Chris had to drive the car every day to and from work, so he wasn't able to get it fully insured as a "historic" car (there are restrictions on the milage driven on historic cars).  Given the hours he spent on this car and the parts used, it's probably worth well over twice of what it's insured for. 

Another thing bothers me about this, though - I was really hacked off when I heard some other co-workers laughing this morning saying "I think I'll put a sign on my old junkard out in the parking lot saying 'take me' " or "I wish it had been mine stolen."  Personally, life is too short to drive a hoopty.  If I'm going to come to this place every day for the next 20 years and continue to spend the majority of my waking hours here, I'm going to come here in style. 


I went into the lunchroom earlier to get a cup of coffee and overheard a meeting with one of our H.R. people and the head of our maintenance department talking with a some people about possibly getting security cameras for this place. I'm guessing we'll then hire a Barney Fife rent-a-cop to sit on his/her butt all day (and all night, considering we have a night shift, too) looking at a dozen monitors. Yeah right. 

No comments: