Monday, November 1, 2004

It's Almost Over

Note: the following post is strictly bipartisan. 

Thank goodness we only have a day and a half left to be subjected to election commercials, campaign news, and mudslinging; Republicans, Democratcs, Libertarians, and Green Party voters alike will have to agree with me on this one.

With the election just a day away, I think it's interesting how the reporters, commentators, advisers, and experts are all using horse racing lingo to describe the election:

          neck and neck
          down to the wire
          dead heat
          in the homestretch
          nearing the finish line  
          jockeying for position

For those of you with cable, I can see where you might turn on the TV and hear the phrase "neck and neck" and think you've mistakingly turned to the TVG horse racing channel instead of CNN. In preparation for the final days before the election, I think the reporters watched all six hours of Breeders Cup coverage on NBC this Saturday. 

Another phrase, which is totally unrelated to horse racing, has gotten on my nerves the last few days: when the media isn't talking about the election coming down to the wire, they're talking about "key battleground states."  I guess that sounds much more dramatic than saying "states that are undecided and could have great impact on the election outcome."

I know we will still have news coverage to deal with, but at least at 6:00 tomorrow night the commercials will stop.  At least they will for those of us in the Eastern Standard Time zone.

I'm Puddin, and I approve this message.

No comments: