Wednesday, November 24, 2004

I Need A Favor

I don't ask much of you, my faithful readers, except to continue reading TWIT (That's What I'm Thinking).  But today, I am asking you to do something for me: buy some Krisy Kremes.

Krispy Kreme Doughnuts announced a 3rd quarter loss of $3 million, or 5 cents per share, down from a profit of $14.5 millions, or 23 cents per share, a year ago.  If the company hadn't posted one-time charges related to discontinued operations, the company would have only earned $2.4 millions, or 4 cents per share.  Analysts had expected Krispy Kreme to earn 13 per share.  When this was announced, shareholders started selling off their stock, and shares fell $1.56, or 16 percent, to close at $9.64.  The Krispy Kreme stock is trading at less than a quarter of its 52-week high of $41.73.

As was the case with Hostess declaring bankruptcy earlier this fall, Krispy Kreme also blames its problems on the low-carb diet craze. You can't make me believe that THAT many people have stopped buying KKs.  The two Krispy Kreme stores in Louisville are open 24/7 and they are busy no matter what time you drive by.  Here in Louisville, back in the day, KKs were only available at these two bakeries and a selected few stores.  Now, they're in all of the grocery stores and can be found in the majority of the convenience stores.  The trays in the convenience stores are usually empty when I stop by, so somebody is buying them.

So getting back to my favor, please buy some Krispy Kremes.  We've got to help the company and get those earnings back up.  If you're low-carbing it, buy a box any way and take them to work.  Co-workers everywhere love KKs.  You don't have to spend extra to get the fancy ones, either - plain glazed KKs will be just fine.  By giving doughnuts to your co-workers, you're also practicing the Golden Rule by treating others the way you would want to be treated - you'd love for someone to give you a doughnut, right?  It's a proven fact that co-workers you share snacks with will remember your generosity and wil share their snacks with you. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If Hostess and KK go out of business, I'm just hanging it up.

Anonymous said...

I'm doing my part to help them out - I went out in the cold rain last night just to get a dozen KK's for us for Sunday breakfast. They rocked.