Thursday, August 19, 2004

Turbins and Traffic Lights

Yesterday must have been Turbin Day, and nobody sent me the memo.  On my way to work yesterday, I zoomed on through the usual bottleneck, only to be stopped by a school bus.  The bus picked up one kid, then started off.  Then a young woman wearing a big white turbin came running after the bus.  She was carrying something in a plastic Kroger bag.  She finally got the driver's attention, and once again the bus stopped.  We all waited for 3 minutes while a boy (who I'm sure will one day develop into a PAT) leisurely strolled down the street and got on the bus.  No, I'm not being hard on the kid - he looked at us and could plainly see the growing string of traffic he was causing, and he took his sweet time getting to the bus. 

The second turbin was spotted on my way home,about a mile from the first turbin siting.  This was one was fairly nondescript - another young woman wearing a purple skirt and blouse and a red turbin was standing in the median of a very busy road.  The second turbin siting was also in one of the worst drug-infested areas of the county, by the way.  There's a stoplight in this drug area, and I've had police officers tell me that they would never give a ticket nor even stop a person for running this redlight at night; the police themselves don't even want to stop at that light in the daytime, much less at night.  And yes, I travel through this area, as do alot of my co-workers, twice a day. 

No comments: