Sunday, August 1, 2004

The Morning After, Part II

 

I'm sure that Louisville will soon be synonomous with "sports town" now that we've hosted the Dickens Engery Cider Women's Pro Football Championship Presented by Progressive Medical Rehabilitation Group (DECWPFCPbPMRG for short).  No, I didn't make that up - that's the official name for the Super Bowl of the WNFL (Women's National Football League.)   You'd have to have a button the size of a hubcap to fit that abbreviation on it.  Last night's game was held here in preparation for Louisville's very own WNFL team next season, the Kentucky Karma. (Please don't snicker too much.)  I want to know what the hell kind of mascot the team is going to have?  Someone in a Ghandi outfit?  Speaking of a sports team mascot, that is one of the jobs on my list of dream jobs, second only to making pizzas.  I don't think I've told this to anyone before. How cool would it be to get to wear one of those costumes and get paid to act silly? I'm sure it wouldn't be cool if it was 90 degrees with 90% humidity and you're wearing a 50 pound suit made of fake fur and felt, but to me, it would be an awesome job.   At least you would know what you were wearing to work. 

For the uninitiated, this is real football - not powderpuff, not flag, but real football.  I had front row tickets on the 50-yard line (yes, I know you're jealous) but being the capitalist at heart, I sold them and went to cheer on my beloved Bats (they lost 4-3.  It was another heartbreaker.)  It was a fight to the finish between the Detroit Demolition and the Oklahoma City Lightning, but the Demolition managed to scrape by with a 52-0 win over the Lightning.  First the Tyson fight, and now the WNFL Super Bowl -- what's going to be next?  I hope nobody is turned off by my seemingly all-sports theme of the past two posts - it's just that the fight and the football game were newsworthy events.  We'll get to more drama next week, I'm sure.  

For all of you AMC (All My Children) fans, I'm very happy to post that our idolized Erica Kane is back in action after just a few weeks in rehab.  

News update: the white leopard is still on the loose.  I imagine after running around Bullit County for almost a week, he's getting pretttty hungry.  I'm still surprised some Shephardsville hunter hasn't already caught him and took him out to Carter's Taxidermy to have him stuffed and mounted. 

 

No comments: