Thursday, August 26, 2004

File under: WTF

I heard a very disturbing commercial on the radio yesterday afternoon.  One of the mega office supply stores was advertising their back to school sale, and they were telling what great prices they have on school supplies - folders, paper, pens, computers, etc.  They also said they were having a sale on "homework stations."  I could not breathe when I heard that.  It's sad that the office furniture companies are milking parents out of $$$; they make the parents think that having a homework station for their children will make them have better grades.  Can't today's school kids do their homework at the kitchen table like we did? Granted, my Grandma would make sure I sat at the end of the table with my back to the tv, but the kitchen table was always Command Central at my home; it was where I learned to write, do fractions, write term papers, and eventually work on my Master's thesis. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I have an alternate POV on this.

In some households, especially with multiple children, it would make sense to have a homework station. A place where it is continually quiet and a good place for them to do their work. That doesn't mean they need to BUY anything, just set up a place and keep it designated as the homework area.

I had a desk in my room, which was a better place for me to study/do my work. I'd never have gotten anything done in the kitchen or in the living room.

Anonymous said...

I turned in more than one paper with a pork chop grease stain on it and I turned out okay.

Anonymous said...

That reminds me of one of Reba McEntire's first videos for "Is There Life Out There." In the video, she plays a wife/mother with kids who is working and taking care of things at home and going back to college.  I think Huey Lewis played her husband in the video.  Any way, in the video, she spent days working on a research paper, and had it typed and ready to turn in to the professor, when one of her kids knocks over a cup of coffee and it spills on the paper.  Needless to say, Reba goes off and Huey snatches up the paper and tries to wash the coffee stains off and then irons the pages out. The coolest part is when the professor hands the paper back to Reba, of course with an A, and Reba says "I learned more from the coffee stain than I did from the paper."