Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Drunk Friends Don't Let Drunk Friends Drive Them Home

Some of us have been wasted, and the next day can't remember a few small details about the night before, but I'm sure that we all would not be so wasted that we didn't remember hitting a guy wire and decapitating the head of our friend riding shotgun. http://www.courier-journal.com/localnews/2004/08/31ky/B3-decap0831-3551.html

The poor guy was probably just hanging his head out the truck window to throw up, or get some air, when it happened.  And the driver just kept on going.  He drove 12 miles to get back to his home, with the headless body next to him in the passenger seat.  I cannot imagine being that drunk that you wouldn't have a meltdown over causing a friend in the seat next to you to have their head sliced off.  They said that the only damage to the truck was to the passenger side mirror, and that the driver was "remorseful" when they arrested him the next morning, still drunk from the night before.  The victim's family lives here in Louisville, and he had lived here, too. 

This just wreaks of lawsuits - wrongful death against the driver, negligence on the part of the utility company that placed the guy wire on the side of the road, and negligence on the part of the bar and bartender that served them.  The lawyers will have a field day with this. 

This is just another prime example about drinking and driving.  I know that this made an impression on me.  A few friends and I took the carkeys away from another friend the other night and wouldn't them drive a measly 5 minute trip home from the fairgrounds.  She was very pissy about it at the time, but the next day called each of us and thanked for caring that much about her to not let her drive home.  I know they'd do the same for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm a few days behind in my reading, but I had a feeling you would do a post on this story.  If you hadn't, I was going to suggest you do one.

I like having a few drinks as much as the next girl, but come on!  How many drinks does it take to be oblivious to a headless passenger in your front seat????