Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride

Let me preface by saying that AOL had some technical difficulties yesterday and my post was erased.  Here it is again, in it's entirity.

I'm still a bit shaken up after driving home from a friend's house Saturday night.  My beloved BMW was almost hit not once, but twice, by the same driver.  The wreckless kamikaze driver was a Punk Ass Teenager (who will be referred to as PAT for the duration of this post) in a little Honda.  I'm guessing the Honda was a four-cylinder, which is one-third the size of my engine, and this PAT picked ME to mess with?

The first incident took place at a stoplight at a big four-way intersection.  I was stopped at the light, waiting to head on through the intersection, and the PAT was on my left in the turn lane.  My light turned green and I started to go on through.  The PAT decides not to turn let and cuts over in front of me.  Thank God and the German auto makers for my BMW's brake system.  The Honda missed my front end by about 2 inches.  But lucky for me, in the opposite lane facing us were two LPD cruisers.  They both quickly turned on their spotlights and shone them on the PAT's Honda, as the PAT peeled out. 

Less than a mile down the road, I was stopped at a light in another big four-way intersection.  Once again, I was in the lane to go on through, and the PAT was to my left in the turn lane again.  Yes, you guessed it.  My light turned green, and I started on through the intersection while the PAT cuts over in fron tof me again.  Unbeknownst to the PAT, this was witnessed by the aforementioned LPD officers who had turned around and followed us.  The PAT turned into the subdivision across from our house, where the officers promptly stopped him.  I can only hope that drugs or alcohol were involved, so the PAT would have gotten to spend a night or two down at the jail.  If the PAT got off with only a ticket for wreckless driving, my only consolation is knowing that his fine would be automatically doubled because the second near-miss happened in a work zone. 

Keep in mind, that this whole incident took place in the span of about 90 seconds.  Thank the Lord that nobody was hurt, mainly me. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I swear to god, there must be something in the water. Lately, I have witnessed some of the WORST, most inattentive and dangerous driving I've ever seen.

It's really making me quite nervous and tense. I take side streets to work, and I fear for my life and limb more there than I do highways; it used to be the other way around.

I'm beginning to understand road rage more and more. :(

~Lachlan

Anonymous said...

I'm sure these PATs grow up to be the idiots you see driving around smoking with the windows rolled up, choking the life out of their unbuckled children who are jumping around the inside of the car.  Stupid people should not be allowed to drive, let alone reproduce.

Anonymous said...

It's scarey that these PATs are also the ones working in our fast food restaurants and working at the U-scan-it-yourself area in our grocery stores.