Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Tiffany Gone Postal, 20 Years Later

What a better way to spend a Sunday afternoon: watching MTV on a big screen tv with my best friend and fellow Diva Stacy, with an orange Dreamsicle cocktail in hand, as we loll about on the overstuffed couches.  Oh - did I mention we were watching The Ashlee Simpson Show marathon?  Let me first say that alcohol was the only thing that made the two and a half episodes that we watched bearable. 

Our firsti mpression of Ashlee Simpson was how much she liked the 80's pop star Tiffany.  Then when she got on stage and opened her mouth to sing, it was more like Tiffany going postal.  I thought her sister Jessica was the whiniest celebrity I'd ever heard, but I think little sister holds that title.  Each episode consisted mostly of Ashlee whining and complaining; complaining about how rough it is being on Leno and Regis and Kelly; complaining about the soundcheck for her first concert; complaining about her first concert; complaining about everything.  It was all hard to stomach considering the fact that this kid's debut album sold a kajillion copies and that millions of devoted fans watch her show on MTV faithfully.

We both thought the show was pathetic, but yet we watched two and a half episodes.  It was like how you can't keep from looking at a wreck on the highway; it's horrible and frightening but you just have to look.  The crowning moment came when Ashlee and her enterouge were in a stretch SUV limo headed to an appearance on the NBC Today Show and Ashlee says to her mother (who lives vicariously through her daughters), "This day is so annoying."  Nuff said. 

I wish I had a big sister so I could ride to stardom on her coattail. 

No comments: