Friday, June 7, 2024

Flashback Friday

 When I was a kid, once a month a semi with a trailer would come to a local shopping center parking lot, and would take aluminum cans and newspapers to recycle.  It was a pretty easy way to get some extra money.  They had a huge scale and would weigh the newspapers and aluminum and then would pay you out.  

Every summer when the Catholic picnic season was going on, an old family friend named Dot would take me and her two sons [who were like brothers to me] to the picnics on Friday and Saturday nights, and me and the boys would walk around carrying garbage bags and would pick up the empty beer cans.  Believe me when I tell you there were always a lot. My Grandpa made a can crusher, and the week after the picnic I would be out in the garage crushing the cans.  Then either my Sweet Mother or the Old Man would load up the trunk of the car with my bags and newspapers and take me up to the recycling truck.  

They paid so much per pound for the aluminum and newspapers, and every so often you could spin the wheel and get extra per pound.  As a kid, this was like the big jackpot wheel on the Price Is Right.  


No comments: