Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Louisville FREE Public Library?

I took today off so I could spend some time researching for a big project for class, and spent most of the morning and a good part of the afternoon at the local public library branch. I was so frustrated by this experience that I almost walked out and drove on home. Let me preface by saying that you have to use the computers at the library to access their databases; you can't do it from your home computer. Believe me - if you could I would have stayed home and done it. So I get there about 10 minutes after the library opened and all 20 of the computers were full. So much for a "free" computer. I decided to spend my waiting time wisely so I sat down at a table and did homework while I waited. The table had a clear view of all 20 computers, and I will venture a very conservative estimate that over 3/4 of the computer users were on Facebook. I kept on waiting and doing my homework, but no computers became available. Before I knew it, it was noon and I had all of my chapter read and outlined. Just as I was ready to walk out a computer became available so I ran over and snagged it. As soon as I logged on and found an article I wanted from their database I quickly found out it would be 5 cents a page to print it out. I was there just a month and a half ago and printed out numerous articles for school and there was no charge. I didn't have my purse with me so I just signed off and left, as frustrated as the people that I read about in my chapter on the frustration theory of criminal behavior.

No comments: