Friday, November 25, 2005

Black Friday?

I did something today that I hadn't done in years - I slept in until 10:00.  And it was nice.  Very nice.  No, I didn't stay up half the night just because I was off today; I went to bed at my normal time, 11:00.  I slept late simply because I could.  It was a good sleep for a change - no sinus problems making my nose stuffy, no indigestion from Thanksgiving dinner - just a good sleep.  I woke up at 5:00 and trudged to the bathroom, and as I climbed back into my nice warm bed, I thought of all of those silly people here in the 'Ville, standing out there in the 19 degree temperatures, waiting for a store to open so they could get a DVD player for $19 or a laptop for $300.  Then I pulled the covers up and went back to sleep.

I'm sorry, but there's nothing they have on sale at any price that would make me get up at 3:00 in the morning and go stand in line with thousands of other people in the freezing cold.  Nothing.  If they were giving away free DVD players, or even laptops, I still wouldn't go wait in those lines.  I talked to a few friends this morning, and they all agreed with me, too.  It's not like we're Snooty McSnoots, or like we've got money coming out of the wazoo - it's just that if we want to buy something, we'll go to the store at a time that's convenient for us and buy it, even if we have to pay full price for it. There was just nothing we wanted to buy bad enough to get up in the middle of the night and go stand outside in line for it.  The way I look at it, paying full price for an item will be much, much cheaper than what my bail would be if I went to jail for kicking somebody's ass that messed with me or my Mother in Wal-Mart at 5:30 in the morning. 

Black Friday was the big story at the noon news on TV today.  They showed all of the aforementioned thousands of people running and pushing to get into the stores when they opened.  UK could use some of the people I saw on the news on their team tomorrow when they play UT. 

No comments: