Friday, June 19, 2015

Thanks, I Think

On Tuesday, I went with Dad to get a follow-up ultrasound echocardiogram.  We went to the Norton's Heart Center up on Dixie Highway, about 10 minutes from The Compound.  Much to my surprise, an old friend and former coworker was a nurse at the place.  She came over and hugged all three of us, and after she checked in Dad, she talked to me for over half an hour. 

During our conversation, we talked about the time back in the day when she worked with me in Customer Service at Zoeller.  She talked about my getting my Masters degrees and then starting my own company.  Then she said something that I don't think anyone else has ever said to me.  She said "You've really made a good life for yourself."  I smiled and nodded, and then didn't know what else to say.  Luckily, another patient came in at that precise moment so she had to stop talking to me.

I don't think anyone has ever said that to me before.  I thought about it the rest of the time I was waiting for Dad to come out after his ultrasound.  At first, I wanted to disagree with her. But then, I had to agree.  Yes, I have made a good life for myself.  It wasn't easy.  I don't know of too many people my age that have worked at one company for over 25 years.  I don't know of too many people that have gotten two Masters Degrees.  So once I thought about it all, hell yes I've made a good life for myself. 

No comments: