Thursday, June 18, 2015

It's A Tragedy

During the night, I kept hearing my cell phone buzzing.  I knew it was either texts from friends or breaking news reports.  This time, it was the latter, with the news of the horrific shooting at the church in Charleston, South Carolina, where [as of now] 9 people have died at the hands of a crazed shooter.

As a church security consultant, my first statement is that no amount of plans and procedures followed to the letter could have totally prevented the massacre at that Charleston church last night.  But plans and procedures in place could have lessened the tragedy a bit. 

If there had been off-duty officers there (as I suggest) they could have possibly shot the shooter and prevented more lives lost.  If.  Yes, that's a very big word today - if.

If the church had locked the doors preventing people from entering after the service started (as I suggest) the shooter might not have been able to enter into the building.  Once again, if. 

I could go on and on but I won't.  I'll just sum this up and say that churches need to do more to protect their congregation and staff.  And we need to pray for the families and friends of the 9 people that died at the hands of this crazed shooter.  Pray for peace that passes all understanding for these families.

No comments: