Monday, October 6, 2014

I'm Just That Good

When I woke up this morning, I thought it would be just a normal getting-ready-for work morning.  Nope.  I turned on the Bunn coffee maker and checked email while the coffee was brewing.  As I walked from the back bedroom to the kitchen, I stopped in the family room and picked up the remote to open the garage door.  Just as I picked it up, the electricity went off.  I looked around to see if it was just us, but it was dark up and down the street. 

The first thing I did was make my way carefully to the bookcase where I keep my trusty head light.  I slipped it on my head and with a press of a button we had light.  I got one of the battery lanterns and turned it on and set it on the kitchen table, and then got my coffee and headed back to get dressed for work.  I sat another lantern on the bed and had more than enough light to find a matching pair of brown socks. 

The next obstacle was bit more difficult: getting the garage door open.  But thanks to my Sweet Mother who cleared out some stuff over the weekend, I was able to open the side door fairly easily and squeeze through and open the door with the emergency lever. 

I came back in and woke the 'Rents (and I was sorry to disturb their slumber) and told them what was going on, and left one of the lanterns with them in case they needed it.  I'm pretty sure that they were back to sleep before I had a chance to walk out of the back door and lock it.

I kept my head light on until I got in the Blazer, and then attempted to brush my hair out via the rearview mirror.  I didn't look too bad.  

The stop lights were out up at the big four-way intersection, so I made a U-turn and took a back road to get out on the Greenbelt at a stop light, and then made it to work a few minutes quicker than it would normally take me.  And I was none the worse for wear.  And my socks matched.  You can't ask for much more than that on a Monday.   

No comments: