Friday, May 9, 2014

Flashback Friday

Here's the family story behind our big rose bush.  Our neighbor's, Ed and Alice, were like a second set of grandparents to me. Their house was my second home when I was little.  Alice's mother, who we all called Nanaw, would come up from Glasgow (Kentucky, not Scotland) every few months to visit, and I loved her to pieces.  One spring, she brought a piece of a rose bush she had in her yard, and Ed and Alice were able to grow a bush from it.  A few years later, they gave a piece to us, and Grandpa and Grandma nursed it and were able to get our own bush started from it.  Ed, Alice, and Nanaw are all gone now, as are Grandpa and Grandma, but I see them all every time I look at Nanaw's rose bush. 

Historically, this rose bush would be in full bloom every Mother's Day.  Well, this year, it's not happening.  With the horrid, crazy winter we had, we think it affected the rose bush because there's not a bloom to be found this weekend.  But we have faith that it will be in full bloom soon.  

No comments: