Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Just My Luck

This weekend, I had planned to take the Blazer to a local Firestone shop to get the tires rotated and redeem a coupon for a free oil change.  I also needed to get a couple of things checked - it was making a noise while the car was idling, and  making another strange noise so this would be a good time to get things checked out.

As my luck would have it, about a mile before I got to the Firestone shop on Monday morning, the air conditioner started blowing out not-so-cold air.  Great.  But I didn't worry because there was no need.  As our dear friend MG said about gas prices, "Either you pay it or you stay at home."  This was a similar case.

The oil was changed, the tires rotated, the front brakes replaced, the plastic shroud around the radiator fan was replaced, and something on the axel (I forget) was replaced, and she drives like a new one.  But they said that something was wrong with the a/c compressor. Needless to say I had it replaced just 5 years ago by a friend at work that is one of the best car a/c people around.  As soon as I got the estimate for the a/c I called him and he said whatever I did to not let them touch the a/c; he would bring his tools to work tomorrow (with the forecast of 101 I might add) and attempt to fix it.  Nuff said.

So yours truly drove home today with the mercury reaching 98 degrees without air conditioning.  When I got home, my face was red and my blouse was soaked with sweat.  But you know what?  I made it home.  And driving home with no a/c I said a prayer of thanks that I had a great old SUV that was in excellent running condition that got me home from work.  Because there's a lot of people that don't even have that.

Ordinarily I would be stressed out but I'm not tonight.  I'm calm.  I'm thankful I had the money to pay for today's repairs, because it sure as hell beats having a monthly car payment. And I'm thankful for a friend like JL who will fix the a/c for me.

No comments: