Thursday, September 22, 2011

For Once, I'm Speechless

I just got home from week two in a seven-week Bible study with the women's group from church, and I'm still sitting here at the computer shaking my head over something that happened.  One of the women at the study was a young woman from Germany, who felt the call of the Lord to come to the United States to do missionary work.  Yes, that's usually the opposite of what we normally hear about people becoming missionaries - we hear of them leaving the United States and going to some remote country.  But I digress.  After the study was over and before we all left to go home, we had a time of prayer, and the leader asked for anyone that felt led to say a sentence or two prayer about something that was on their hearts and minds tonight.  A few people prayed, and then the young German woman prayed.  And when she prayed, I honestly don't know if she was speaking in some form of of German or if she was actually speaking in tongues. After what seemed like an hour but was probably only a couple of minutes, she finished and the leader quickly closed the prayer.  I'm not even sure I could have spoken if I'd had something I wanted to pray about - I was speechless, and that doesn't happen often.  During the German woman's prayer,  I wanted to open my eyes and look around the room to see if anyone else was as blown away as I was. But I kept my eyes closed.  I think that some of the women were in deed as blown away as I was, because nobody lingered around to visit; everybody thanked our leader/hostess and headed for our cars.  I wanted to ask if any of the other women understood what the German woman was saying - because the Bible tells that when someone is genuinely speaking in tongues, there will be someone else there to interpret.

No comments: