Friday, September 16, 2011

Flashback Friday

The other day during lunch, a coworker was talking about when he grounded one of his sons for staying out late past his curfew on a weekend night.  My friend, faithful reader and coworker SH said that wouldn't have happened to me or her, because we would have never even been out late on a Friday or Saturday night because we wanted to stay home and stay up late watching the cool TV shows. 

On Friday night, if I could stay awake, I would stay up and watch "Midnight Special."  Each week, a different popular singer would host the show, and basically the show would be other popular singers and bands lip-syncing their songs.  But this was the late 70's and we didn't mind. This was also I think the first TV show to air music videos.  One of the first ones I remember watching was a video from Heart for "Even It Up."

Then on Saturday night, after Saturday Night Live, was the awesome "Don Kirschner's Rock Concert". As a twist to the "Midnight Special" shows, Don Kirschner's show featured singers and groups actually performing live.  And once again, if I managed to stay up past "Saturday Night Live", I would watch it.  Normally, I would check the TV schedule and only stay up and watch it if Heart or Pat Benetar was on it.

Now, I'm lucky to stay awake long enough to wait for the Hoosier Lotto numbers to be posted online at 11:15.

No comments: