Saturday, March 26, 2011

Happy Birthday, Diana Ross


TWIT would like to wish a very happy birthday to Diana Ross. The superstar turns 67 today.
I don't think I've ever mentioned her in TWIT before, but Diana Ross has always been one of my favorites. I've had the pleasure of seeing her in concert twice - once in Lexington at Rupp Arena, where they carried her out on stage like Cleopatra, and once here in Lousville.
I wasn't a big "Wiz" fan, but I wore out my "Lady Sings The Blues" album and had to replace it. It's interesting to me how every now and then you'll hear some Idol or other contest wannabe sing "Good Morning, Heartache". It's good to know that song can still move people. "Swept Away" from an album in the mid-80's is still my favorite song by Miss Ross.
I regret not being at her famous concert in Central Park back in 1983. The concert was to celebrate her 25th year in show business. The planning for the concert took over a year, and it was so disheartening when the big rainstorm hit and the show had to be cut short. But I still remember seeing video footage of Diana Ross on stage singing in the blowing rain, just to make her fans happy. You are one of a kind, Miss Ross.

No comments: