Friday, March 18, 2011

Flashback Friday

This week's Flashback Friday memory doesn't really flash back all that many years - less than 20, to be exact, but it's still something I was reminiscing over today.

My aunt and uncle moved back to Louisville in 1992 when my uncle retired, and the house they bought was less than a half mile from where they used to live. But I digress. My uncle Roy was the biggest sports fan that there ever was - he watched the Braves, Cubs and Reds everytime they were on, and he was a diehard UK fan. And March was his favorite time of the year because of the NCAA basketball tournament. He would fill out a bracket every year and I would pay the $5 to enter into the bracket contest at work, and we would shake hands on splitting the pot if he won. Well, he never won but he always did pretty good. It's no secret that I don't get into the March Madness, but when we had money riding on it, it made it bearable to watch.

On Monday, I was chatting with my cousin in California (uncle Roy's daughter) about how much her dad loved the NCAA tourny. One thing led to another and I suggested that in memory of uncle Roy, she should fill out a bracket and scan it and email it to me and I would pay the $5 and if she won anything, we'd split it. She was all in. Then the rest of the day she and I reminisced about how her dad loved this time of year.

As I checked my brackets and scores for the past two days, I couldn't help but think of uncle Roy and the fun times we had with the NCAA tournament. I know he'd be happy over us entering a bracket and carrying on the family tradition.

No comments: