Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Summer For Oil Spills

We had a momentary scare in my work 'hood today. At about 10:00 I ran outside to put the windows up on my Blazer because it looked like it would start pouring any minute. While I was inside the Blazer rolling up said windows I noticed something bizarre: there was no traffic on the road in front of our company. I looked down the street to my right and about a half mile away I saw a police cruiser blocking both lanes of the road. I looked up to the left, and as far as I could see there was no traffic coming down the road. It took a few hours to get all of the correct information, and what happened was just up the street from our company at the intersection, a semi-tanker hauling vegetable oil overturned and the oil was all over the intersection. Apparently, vegetable oil is way harder to clean up than your regular petroleum (but you couldn't prove that from BP, now, could you?) so the road was blocked off until after 4:00. But it was thanfully clear for our commute hom after work.

No comments: