Tuesday, March 6, 2007

New Product Review

Please welcome once again my best friend Diva Stacy as she tells us about her experience with the iRobot Scooba. 

I can't remember where I first heard about iRobot Scooba, the flying saucer shaped gadget that magically moves around, cleaning your kitchen floor, but I knew instantly that I must have one.  Mopping the floor is THE household chore I despise the most.

I was a little skeptical about it's effectiveness, so I went online and found some product reviews.  The one thing they all seemed to have in common was that when they first powered the thing on they got a message that said "Check Tank".  One lady said she desperately wanted the thing to work and that she followed all the steps the manufacturer suggested, but try as she may she just couldn't get it to work.  Many other consumers said they got the same message, but the ones who managed to get past it said they loved the gadget and didn't know how they ever lived without it.

I couldn't resist the lure of never having to mop again, so Saturday while I was at Target I noticed they had Scooba on clearance for $249 (originally $299).  I bought it.

I took it home and charged the battery over night as instructed, and Sunday morning I was ready to go!!  I moved all the chairs out of the kitchen and set up the very cool "virtual wall" to prevent Scooba from leaving the kitchen.  I placed it in the floor and hit the power button. Green light....good.  I took a breath and pressed the "Clean" button. "Please God, I'm so busy, let me not have to mop this floor again."  I heard a "whirring" sound.  "This is good", I'm thinking.  And then....."blink"!  The dreaded "Check Tank" light came on.

I went online for support and found some things to try.  No dice.  So yesterday I called for a live person and got Amy. She was very nice and assured me the problem was very likely that the pump needed to be primed.  So last night I went home and filled the turkey baster with warm water and shot it through Scooba as instructed.  It gushed on through so I hoped the problem would be fixed.  I placed Scooba back on the floor and tried once again.  Once again, "Check Tank".

Tonight when I get home I'm going to call again while I have the Scooba in my hand and see if I can get some help getting it to move.  I really want this thing to work.  I will keep you posted and let you know if we will give the Scooba The TWIT Seal Of Approval.

Addendum:
I am very happy to report that after giving Scooba some good firm shaking and then priming the pump with the turkey baster three good times, I powered her up and she took off!

The cycle took about 45 min and I don't think it missed an inch of the floor.  I was quite pleased with the results.  I'm glad I hung in there! I would like to give the iRobot Scooba TWIT's Seal of Approval.

No comments: