Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Brawl At The VFW

As if Monday night's brawl at the bingo wasn't bad enough, I'm afraid that I have to report yet another VFW brawl that happened last night at my post.  Unfortunately, I was involved in this one. 

In addition to our big Tuesday night jackpot drawing, we also have a 50/50 drawing for a dollar a chance.  In case you're not familiar with VFW gambling, the 50/50 drawing is pretty easy to understand - however much money that is taken in during the sale of the chances, the post gets 50% and the winner gets 50%.  Last night the winner would take home a sweet $100.  The Commander drew the winning ticket number and announced it was 437552.  Well, looky looky -- yours truly was holding ticket number 437552.  I handed the Commander my ticket and the Auxiliary President (his wife) handed me the envelope with the $100.  The Commander was verifying my ticket against the stub he drew when he said "Sorry - I didn't have on my glasses.  The winning number is 437522."  And just like that,  the money was snatched from my hands and given to someone else.  This is where the brawl started.  People started yelling "You called her number first" but it all fell on deaf ears.  One group of friends there were already boycotting the 50/50 drawing because they believe it's rigged; believe me when I tell you those four people were the most vocal.  I took it all in stride and didn't raise a fuss about it. But it did tick me off a little. 

Just when the 50/50 drawing drama died down, more drama ensued. This time it was a result of the shuffleboard game.  Apparently the guy that was in charge of the Tuesday night shuffleboard tournament changed one of the rules and a team playing last night weren't aware of the changes.  Needless to say, that team got hacked off and walked out. 

I bet you had no idea there was this much drama at the VFWs, did you? 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're livin' on the edge, Puddin.  Come on back over and have some chocolate cake with me.  It's usually safe here.