Monday, March 19, 2007

I'm A Believer

Yesterday was a very historic day in the life of Puddin -- I had a piece of chocolate cake that will forever be in my Top Three Chocolate Cakes.  It was the most moist chocolate cake that I believe I've ever had.  The props for the awesome chocolate cake go to none other than Diva Stacy.  As I was raving on and on after I finished my second piece of cake in less than 6 hours, she told me her secret: she used applesauce instead of cooking oil.  It rocked.

For years I've heard of how you can substitute applesauce for cooking oil in cake mixes and other baked goods, but until yesterday I never knowingly tasted any.  I'm sure there's a good chance I've tasted baked goods made with applesauce instead of oil and didn't know it.  Mom makes some muffins with pumpkin, applesauce, and Splenda and they're awesome.  But I've never had any cake or baked goods made exclusively with applesauce instead of oil.  That is, until yesterday. I think I had a mental block about using applesauce in chocolate cake; one would think that it would make the chocolate cake applesaucey.  But au contraire - there was not even the smallest hint of applesauce; and Diva Stacy even used cinnamon applesauce, too.  As I said, it ranks up in my Top Three Chocolate Cakes Of All Time.  And I can't thank Diva Stacy enough for feeding me the chocolate cake at her home yesterday and sending 4 pieces of the cake home with me.  Believe me when I tell you that I'm rationing them.

No comments: