Monday, October 16, 2006

The Haunted Bathroom

It's hard to belive that Halloween is just two weeks from today.  Where has the year gone?  You can't walk down an aisle at the grocery stores or drugstores without running into Halloween candy, costumes and decorations.  With all of the drama going on with the sale of the church, the 'Rents and I have been remiss in our Halloween decorating.  We'll pull the aliens and the witch out of the closet as soon as this rain clears up and I'll post some pictures of the The Compound in its Halloween glory.  But in the meanwhile, sit back and let me tell you a story - a ghost story.  For you see, the master bathroom in our house is haunted.  Yes, faithful readers, haunted. 

For the past month, the toilet in the master bathroom flushes by itself at around 5:00 every morning.  I'm not exaggerating on the time nor frequency - the 'Rents can back me up on this one.   Every morning at around 5:00, I'm awaken from my slumber by the sound of the toilet flushing.  And for the past week, it's flushed by itslef two times during the night, making me kinda cranky during the day from getting woke up twice. 

OK OK - you got me.  There's no such thing as a true haunted house - the culprit is a worn out flapper, not a ghost in the bathroom. But it sure makes for a good story, doesn't it?  The timing of this has me puzzled, though - why does the flapper malfunction at the same time evey morning?  I'm a pump expert, not a plumbing expert, so I'm clueless.  Maybe you, my faithful readers, could explain this for me.  In the meanwhile, I stopped at the hardware store on the way home today and bought a flapper (the package said it was universal).  The Old Man just finished putting it on, so now all we have to so is sit back and wait till 5:00 to see if it works or not.

No comments: