Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Rockstar:INXS - Final Round

The final three rockstars performed one song, based on the fans votes.

Mig - sang "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen.  Good band interaction.  Crowd went crazy.  Was truly entertaining.  Not quite as good as Suzie's performance, but was very good.
J.D. - sang "You Can't Always Get What You Want" by the Rolling Stones.  Still used big Broadway voice.  Throwing the stool was lame. Talked instead of sang.
Marty - sang "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd. Felt the emotion.  Was even more emotional than the first time he sang this.  Excellent performance.

After INXS huddled around the table and discussed the three rockstars, they were visably saddened to tell Mig he was not right for the band. 

The two remaining rockstars performed an INXS song with INXS.

Marty - sang "Don't Change."  Truly acted and performed like a lead singer with the band.  Good interaction with the band and crowd. Didn't scream.
J.D. - sang "What You Need."  Still acting like a Michael Hutchence clone.  Too spastic on stage.

Much to my dismay, INXS told J.D. he was right for the band.

After three months of watching Rockstar:INXS faithfully, I'm sad to see it end.  I think they should have had 100 contestants and let this show drag out for at least six more months. I would have gladly watched it for another season instead of having to find something else to watch each week while "Big Brother" is on. 

I'm also sad to see J.D. be named the lead singer for INXS.  He always used what I called his "big Broadway voice" in almost every song he sang on the show.  In first week or two of the show, he said how he knows all of the INXS songs, so I'm guessing he probably studied hours of INXS concerts because he acts just like Michael Hutchence did when he performed.  If that's what the rest of the band wants, fine with me - but I would think out of respect for Michael, they would have gone in a different direction for a lead singer. I was just sure that Mig would be the one they chose.  The crowd loved him, and INXS loved him, too.  I'm thinking that he might have been too versatile for them - another case of being overly qualified.  Even though I had no use for Marty once he smashed the guitar on stage, I was still surprised.  He was my second choice.  But he's not walking away empty handed - INXS asked him to open for them on their upcoming tour, and Dave Navarro told him he would be honored to play guitar on his album.  Oh well. We'll see how INXS does on their new album and world tour. 

No comments: