Saturday, September 3, 2005

I'm Better Than I Thought I Was

With all of the devastation and horrible news from the Gulf this week, I was ready for something happy to happen.  A friend gave me a new DVD/CD burner a few weeks ago, and I just hadn't taken the time to install it.  To be honest, I was afraid to. Other than installing a new modem or USB port, I've always sent the computer to the shop to have drives and other things installed.  But after getting instructions from Bos, our computer guru, I had confidence and was going to give it a shot.  The only thing I had on my "list of things to do over the long weekend" was to uninstall the old non-working CD burner and install the new DVD/CD burner.  Well, faithful readers, that task is accomplished.

After sleeping in this morning and having a couple cups of coffee to get me going, I decided to give it a shot.  After checking mail this morning, I procrastinated and put it off a couple more hours.  My confidence level had dropped.  But an hour ago, I had a boost of courage and got my trusty Philip's head screwdriver and can of air and got down to business.  In all honesty, the hardest part of taking the old burner out and putting the new one in was trying to get two screws into a corner hole.  Rocky the neighbor's black Lab was here visiting, and he wandered to the back bedroom while I was trying to get the screws in, and I'm sure if he could talk he would say he learned a few new words today.   But perseverance prevailed, and I got it put back together and just now finished burning my first CD with the new burner. 

It wasn't as frightening as I thought it would be.  I'm no longer intimidated by the insides of my desktop computer. I would never think of trying to mess with the harddrive or motherboard, but I think anything else is fair game.  My next piece of hardware I will install will be a card with 3 or 4 UBS ports.  It's not so scarey after all.

I'd like to ask a favor from you, my faithful readers.  Please leave your comments on what software you use for CD and DVD burning.  I need to install software for the DVD burning, and I'd like your opinion on what to use.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sonic record now.........is what I'm using
and I have used Roxio Easy CD burner (which I really like because of the cd label maker) but you know Windows Media Player burns too.

Anonymous said...

Sonic Record was the default CD recording product on my PC but I became aggravated with it.  I now burn CDs with Windows Media which uses the existing CD burner in my Dell.  It's a lot easier and faster than the Sonic Record.