Monday, September 19, 2005

Are You Ready For Some Football?

My love of the NFL started back when I was in 4th grade.  I was in love with Bob Griese.  In fact, I was sure I was going to marry him when I got older.  I lived and breathed the Miami Dolphins.  I had a very cool leather and wool orange and aqua Dolphins coat, and all of the accessories that went with it - gloves, scarf, and knit cap.  I wrote a letter to Bob Griese and got back a personally autographed picture of him; today, this is tucked safely away in our fireproof box.  When I was in the 6th grade, our beloved poodle Bridgette was killed, and to ease the pain, Grandma and Grandpa bought me a pair of Adidas tennis shoes.  Of course, I picked out the pair with the orange and aqua stripes on the side.  I also kinda liked the Baltimore Colts.  But that was just because our neighbor's brother lived in Washington D.C. and whenever he would come to visit, he would bring me Colts souvenirs. As I grew older and got into the guitar, the NFL fell by the wayside. 

My love of the NFL experienced a rebirth 7 years ago when the Tennessee Titans were born.  I absolutely love the Titans.  I know that there are two other pro teams much closer in proximity to Louisville, but I don't care.  Sorry - I don't like the Colts nor the Bengals; I'm a Titans fan.  I've had the pleasure of seeing the Titans play both a home game and an away game, and those two games were the most awesome sports experiences I've ever had.  At the away game up in Indy, I had to endure a miserable loss to the Colts, but I still loved it.  At the home game in the very cool Adelphia Stadium, I got to witness the Titans beat the Ravens. 

This year, one of my friends in the engineering department at work invited me to join his fantasy football league.  I jumped at the opportunity.  This league was free to join, unlike most of the other fantasy football leagues at work.  Of course, I have no clue to what I'm doing, but that doesn't matter.  It's free and it's fun. I lucked out in our draft;  the commissioner drew names for draft positions, and lucky me, Puddin's TWITs got first pick.  I swallowed my pride, ate a lot of crow, and chose Peyton Manning for my first pick. 

Each week, teams go head-to-head.  And for one week, I could gloat and say that I was tied for first place in our league. Last Sunday, I beat my new friend and fellow blogger, the editor of Brain Farts.  For one week, he could say he was beat by a girl.  My glory was short-lived, as my luck changed yesterday afternoon when I was pummeled to the ground in this week's games by the Jungle Dwellers.  This week, I humbly say that I was beat by a preacher.  Yes, a man of the cloth was the owner/manager of the team that beat me.  I think the word "pummeled" is actually mild compared to the beating that I got yesterday. But since I was beat by a preacher's team, I will refrain from the terms I would have used.   I think he had some major divine intervention on his side yesterday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, this is the preacher and owner of the Jungle Dwellers. If you're searching for the correct word for what happened to your team yesterday, may I offer these choices...

Crucified
Flogged
Satanized
Baptized by Fire
Proselytized
Got the Sin Beaten Out of You
Raptured
Apocalypse-itized

Better luck next week!

Jungle Dweller

Anonymous said...

Ouch.

Guess you saw the light, Puddin.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know that I also won my first week in fantasy football with peyton on my team I had to pick him considering my team name is "Peytons Girl" and I also got my butt kicked this week, too.  But I know it was just a one week thing with Peyton so chin up you will win next week.