Wednesday, September 7, 2005

File Under: WTF File Under: WTF

Is it just me, or is anyone else annoyed by McDonalds' new advertising strategy?  They play the same commercial (advertising this week's two-for special) two times during the same commercial break.  Just like last night, during "Rockstar: INXS", they played the annoying commercials twice.  You know the one - the guy comes in to his apartment carrying a McDonalds' bag and a soft drink, and puts his change in a coffee can sitting on a homemade book shelf.  Apparently he saved so much change, that the added weight of the change caused the plywood shelf to break.  Now that's a lot of leftover change.

At first I didn't pay much attention to it; I wrote it off as either my mind playing tricks on me or that someone goofed in the programming department at the television station.  But after seeing the same commercials repeated like that for the past few months, I guess it's some bizarre advertising strategy.  But it just annoys me.  Is McDonalds hurting for business so bad that they have to show the same commercials thirty seconds apart?  There's no celebritys in this commercial, and no exotic location - just a ordinary young guy in an ordinary apartment.  So I guess it was a very low budget commercial to make, and they're determined to cram it down our throats as much as they can. 

All I can say is thank goodness Burger King didn't do the same thing with their Tender Crisp Bacon Cheddar Ranch burger.  I might have pulled an Elvis and shot out the TV screen. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I noticed a lot of companies are doing this same thing.  I tend to notice more when they use a famous song during the commercial.  It's almost like you hear the song but don't pay any attention to what it's advertising.  Song gets stuck in your head and then a few minutes later same commercial comes on.  This time it really gets your attention and you watch much closer.  Interesting marketing strategy, but yes it is annoying.

Anonymous said...

The only time I wasn't annoyed was when Target was running their commerical with my ROY ORBISON's You Got It.........then they could have played, and played and played.
Mercy sad ain't I?