Friday, September 23, 2005

MEM05 - Day 2

I'd originally planned to post a bunch of photos on here today for you, my faithful readers, but in all honesty I'm just too worn out right now to deal with it.  I will post more photos when I get home on Sunday.  We've had some issues with the wireless internet connection in our hotel room for the past day and a half, and I'm not real sure that the airwaves are strong enough for me to post a bunch of pictures.

These major issues were enough to make me almost bang my head against the table last night.  After making 4 futile phone calls to the front desk to get a password to sign onto the wireless connection, I'd had enough and headed downstairs to the front desk to get help in person.  They ended up giving me some contraption to hook up to the laptop and it still didn't work.  I called back to the front desk and they transferred me to some support center probably a thousand miles away.  But at least the guy I talked with was able to manually get me connected through the network.  At last I was able to post a note in TWIT.  Tonight, it was the same problem over again, sans me trudging downstairs to the front desk.  In all honesty, I'm just too damned tired to have made the trip down there.  After 3 calls to the front desk, they finally transferred me once again to the support center.  And once again, they had me connected in a minute or two.  But tonight, the signal is not very strong, and as stated earlier, I'm too tired to deal with the pictures tonight.  

Our trip to Graceland this morning was more than either of us can put into words. Some of the message boards and fan forums I've read in the past few months were not very kind about the fans that make their version of the trip to mecca; the word "freak" was used quite frequently to describe the visitors to Graceland.  I was expecting it to be like the crowds I encounter at the crane games at Wal-Mart, but it couldn't have been more wrong.  The people we saw today were just like us - fans that travelled and paid money just to see where the King lived.  As we were standing in line for an hour [in the 96 degree heat with 80% humidity] get on the shuttle bus to take us up to Graceland we were amazed as we looked at the long line of fans. People in wheelchairs, pushing walkers and carrying oxygen tanks were waiting there with us.  As we listened to the people around us talking, it didn't take long for us to realize that us red-blooded American girls were definitely in the minority; the majority of the people taking the tour of Graceland were from a foreign country.  Our age, social class, or ethnic background didn't matter one bit; we were there for one reason and one reason only - to see where Elvis Presley lived, and ultimately died.

No comments: