Thursday, December 2, 2004

Pssss....Wanna Buy A Watch?

If your company is anything like mine, you have firewalls and spam filters and anti-virus software installed to protect the computer system from attack.  They do a good job of keeping out hackers and viruses, but no matter what they do, they just can't keep us from getting spam emails about fake Rolex watches.

I've always wanted a Rolex ever since I saw my "Knots Landing" and "Dallas" characters wear them.  I'll have one sometime during the next few years, but I'll be damned if jump on the trend bandwagon and buy a knock-off during the current craze.  On my Outlook email program, I have it set to automatically move any emails containing the words "Rolex" to my Deleted Mail folder.  But still, quite a few sneak through.  We used to be bombarded with Viagara emails, but for the past couple of months, the fake Rolex emails have taken first place in the spam department. 

The other day, out of curiosity I looked at a site listed in one of the emails.  I was shocked when I saw how much they were charging for a fake Rolex.  I'm sure in some parts of the world you could probably find a real Rolex for just a few dollars more.  I know that real Rolexes will set you back a couple grand, but fake ones shouldn't cost $600-$800.  You'd think they'd have them for twenty bucks.  They sell fake Gucci and Louis Vuitton purses for about 1/10 the price of a real one, so you'd think they could do the same with a Rolex. 

You know, after thinking about this, I guess if I really wanted a Rolex bad enough right now, I could always sell off some of my Kmart stock and buy one.  But I would probably slap somebody if they came up and asked "Ohhhh - Is that one of those trendy fake Rolexes?"

No comments: