Thursday, December 16, 2004

New Product Review

I just bought the coolest gadget that I've got to tell you about -- it's a cell phone holder that fits on the heating/air conditioning vent of your car.  How cool is that? 
We hear on the news about the freak accident that happened when someone was talking on their cell phone; I'm surprised we don't hear of more wrecks out on the road caused by people fumbling for their cell phones.  Ask anyone who has a cell phone and most likely they will agree - you're driving and your cell phone rings and you can't find the phone.  You [try to] keep your eyes on the road while leaning over to feel for the phone in the passenger seat, where it is either in your purse or bag.  If you're lucky.  Usually, the phone will be somewhere on the floorboard, just an inch out of your reach.  Most likely, the phone will continue to ring, all the while you can't answer it.

I'm notorious for keeping my phone in my purse; a good place for a woman to keep her cell phone, you might say.  Usually have my purse in the back seat of the car.  I don't know why, but it's just a habit - when I get in the car to go to/from work, for some odd reason I put my purse, etc in the back seat of the car.   Not a week goes by that someone will call and I can't answer the phone without climbing to the back seat.  Friends and family that call during this time are constantly going off on me -  "Why do you even have a phone if you don't answer it?"  Those days are over, thanks to my new cell phone holder.

I saw one at Target back in the summer, but didn't buy it.  After a friend yelled at me the other day because she called and I couldn't answer the phone because it was in the back seat in my purse, I decided to look on EBay for one.  They had hundreds on there, the majority of them for the low low price of $4.99.  It clips into the air vent, so the phone will be eye level, allowing you to see it with your periphreal vision and reach for the phone without risking running off the road.  The seller even through in a very cool ear bud and microphone for the phone, too.  Free items take away some of the sting of the shipping and handling charges.

Some of you with new cars might have a hands free kit already installed in your car; I've got one in my BMW, but I 'm not going to pay $25 to have Verizon activate it.  It is cool, though.  It has a microphone already installed, that's just to the left of the driver's side sun visor, and it's all wired up so the phone can be heard over the speaker system in the car.  Stacy calls the mobile phone installed in the console my "Knots Landing phone." 

I'll give an update when I get my phone holder and get it hooked up in the car. 

No comments: