Monday, July 8, 2024

Update From The Compound

 We've had something crazy going here at The Compound for the past week.  Large Marge is broody (we think) and has been in one of the nesting boxes almost all of the time.  I say "almost" because I see where the level in the feeder is lower every day, and the waterer level is also lower.  So I know she's getting up out of the nesting box to eat and drink.   

I go out every morning to check on her, and the past two mornings when I opened up the door to the nesting box, she has gotten very agitated and squalked at me.  I think that's a good sign, hoping she's agitated at me interrupting her brooding. 

She's 7 and a half years old, and that is old for a hen.  But I think she has the will to hang with us a while longer. 

Stay tuned.  

No comments: