Sunday, December 31, 2023

Farewell, 2023

Dear 2023:

I am not going to beat around the bush, 2023.  I am glad to see you go.

You cost me a lot of money during your 365 days here: major repairs to the Silver Bullet, major repairs to the water leak, minor repairs to the kitchen sink and the bathroom, a whole garage roof replacement, a bathroom renovation; I could go on but I will stop here.  In your defense, I am thankful that I had the money to pay for all of those expenses.

You also cost me a dear friend - not their physical death, but the death of our friendship. In August, a very close and long-time friend said he was (and I quote) "cutting off" a few of his friends; unfortunately I was one of them. It was all on him - it wasn't because of something I did.  This really hurt me, and honestly, I am still hurt over it. I saw him this fall when we both were at a funeral home visitation at the same time.  I was surprised that he spoke to me - he didn't ask how I was; instead his only words to me were asking how my dad was doing.  And as I left the funeral home, he caught up with me and gave me a hug. But once again, in your defense 2023, you brought me together with two new friends.  

Goodbye, 2023.  I am hoping your predecessor will be easy on me.


No comments: